27 May 2003

Other random thoughts from the long weekend (and today):

* Good Eats marathon: good. The Man Show marathon: bad. It's not even male-centered humor anymore. It's like the guys who inhabit light beer ads are writing, producing and performing their own half-hour of TV material.

* Thing I Did Not Know That I Know Now: Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay for You Only Live Twice.

* As much as the traffic yesterday wasn't as heavy as you'd expect for the end of a long weekend, we did see a car on its roof on Route 95 North somewhere in the Burlington-Woburn-Waltham area.

* Who knew that the President liked to name tech companies on the side?

* Why is the commissioner's office sending a glove with a patch commemorating a pitcher's 300th win to that pitcher before the win has taken place? This stinks in several ways. I suppose that the glove got the boot and that the Sox won should give comfort, but what the hell? It's not like they sent Palmiero bats with the number 500 on them to commemorate his milestone.

* Oh, and can I also say how sad I am that the Yankees are 2-8 in their last 10? If things go right, they'll be behind the Sox and the Blue Jays by this time on Thursday.

* Should I be more concerned that Nike signed 13 year old soccer phenom Freddy Adu to a $1 million endorsement deal? On the one hand, he's 13. On the other hand, he's 13. But, on the third hand, it's not like Adu got bilked out of his college eligibility (he wasn't planning on going that route). I suppose this doesn't get to me like the whole LeBron thing as Adu has steered clear of the whole shamateurism thing.

* Patrick Roy retiring? Sacre bleu! I should hate him for his years in Montreal, but at this point I really do more identify him with the Avs. Let the David Aebischer era commence!

* Best story you probably didn't see from the weekend: Keira Goerl throws a no-hitter in the national title game to lead UCLA to the NCAA division 1 softball title. Oh, did I mention that she also pitched all 47 innings of UCLA's tournament games?

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...