23 June 2003

It's Monday, I can't think of anything coherent, so you get mental chop suey - a little of everything.

* The campus center dining area has been doing theme lunches on Thursdays. Last week was "South of the Border" week, with a hot entree item of roasted chicken and garlic mashed potatoes. Apparently, the border we're south of is in fact the US-Canadian border. Today's hot entree item: burritos and tacos. Of course.

* Going back to Saturday and Scott's response, I suppose my lack of trust in the pharmas is more of a generalized distrust of big business in general, made more palpable by how critical the pharmas are to ensuring healthy living so for many people. I understand that the process of creating drugs isn't exactly cheap or quick (once, a long time ago on a planet far far away, I did study health law), but I do wonder about motives and such from time to time, though not in any organized way. I certainly don't lump them in with big tobacco, who's decades of shady dealings and lack of basic human understanding will hopefully lead to an eternity of fire and being poked with sticks for the appropriate people.

* I've now finally heard this "Bring Me to Life" song that some of the folks at left have mentioned repeatedly. It's a little over-wrought but not too bad. I am dismayed that they feel the need to "feature" someone, but am glad that it's not Ashanti. I'm not crazy about how there are 3 or 4 different vocalists during the chorus, too cluttered. After reading the lyrics I can see where some folks put a Christian spin on it, but I wonder if that's going to be the new musical trend - songs with what may or may not be oblique references to God. That may actually be a fun game to play with old songs. I can't suppose I can put a Trinitarian spin on "Baby Got Back," can I?

* The folks over at whatsbetter.com reached their target figure for getting a dedicated server, thanks to all who helped out. Now if you'd just be so kind to actually pay the money you pledged. Remember, "Elmo knows where you live."

* I would love to know what sort of record the Sox have against the Phillies in interleague play. I'd be surprised if the Carmine Hose have won even a quarter of the games they've played against them. Can't we play the Mets? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

* The weather report that got me cranky last weekend has now completely fallen apart. After a lot of rain over the weekend, it is now sunny out. We may even have sunny days for most of the week! Maybe the UN finally got their weather machine fixed.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...