24 June 2003

So the Bay State's first Krispy Kreme opened in Medford today. About this I have only one thing to say.

I don't get it.

I've had Krispy Kremes. I've had them fresh. I've had the "Original Glazed" and a few other flavors besides.

Woo hoo.

Part of this comes, of course, from growing up in Dunkin' Donuts land and being very accustomed to their style of doughnuts. But then there's the other part, the major part for me, that unless $50 bills come shooting out when I bite into them, I'm not going to get all that excited about doughnuts. Feel free to take my space in line.

I will say, though, that I am dismayed at how Dunkin' Donuts caved in and started using the shirt boxes rather than the shoe boxes for their doughnuts. While not iconic to the level of, say, the Coke bottle, there's a certain identification that came from the squat rectangular box that is now gone.

The more important local news is that Mike Sullivan, former BU Icedog, is now the head coach of the Boston Bruins. This makes him the second BU hockey player to get a head coach's job for the coming season (the other being the Islanders' Steve Stirling). The main difference between the two men, for me at least, is that I've seen Sullivan play. He was a senior during the 1989-90 campaign where he captained a Frozen Four team (losing to Colegate in the semis) from what had been, in the two years that I'd been at BU previous, a train wreck. Stirling played at BU from 1968-70.

I suppose Theo Epstein's hiring as Red Sox GM softens the blow of having someone a year older than me land the Bruins job. I just hope that Sullivan gets to keep it for more than the 14 months or whatever the average life span of a Bruins head coach is now.

In related sports news, the ACC-Big East thing just gets odder. Will the ACC make offers to Virginia Tech and UConn? Will the Big East counter by taking on schools like Louisville, Xavier, and Marquette? What will the Florida Attorney General's office be able to accomplish in all of this? Shouldn't the leagues just merger to form one big 23 school super-conference? Or how about letting each school decide how badly they want to sell out their students to chase athletic success and form two conferences based on that?

My personal hope: we spend a couple years of sound and fury signifying nothing and everyone stands pat. Once again, only the lawyers will win. Ha ha!

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...