18 June 2003

So in our last good day for a while, the student affairs softball team took on a combined marketing/MBA team in our Babson summer softball league. It's a little different from the one I played in at BU, as there's no real rule regarding gender, no officiating so to speak, and we're playing on an actual softball field rather than a chunk of a larger turf field.

Student affairs was able to claim a 7-5 victory, even with yours truly on the mound (or, it being an actual softball field, in the circle). How I wound up pitching is somewhat of a mystery, but given that half of our team was located or recruited five minutes before we started I should be glad we were all playing the same sport (though one of our members was wearing golf spikes). Thankfully it's a no walk league, so my more hideous pitches didn't hurt too much (had this been the BU league that uses the mat to record balls and strikes, the score would have been something like 28-27).

It may even be too much to call this thing a league. There are 8 or 9 teams, but each team only plays twice. There's some mention of a title game, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I can easily see there being more than two undefeated teams.

One of the more deceptive things about playing on the field was the outfield fence. It's 200 feet at the lines and 210 to dead center. After having many balls hit that far in BU that went for long outs, it was hard to shut off that voice that was telling me to let it rip. As it turns out I went 1-3 with a RBI, a solid base knock. My two outs were ground balls each, pitches I shouldn't have swung at. Having not played since August 2001, I'm a little restless at the plate.

Perhaps it's a good thing I've not been playing, as even our lone game has caused my Achilles tendon problem to flare again. I think I may have actually goosed it a little bit last weekend, but that could he hindsight talking. I do have about a month until the next game, so plenty of time to get it back to form.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...