19 June 2003

So not even 24 hours after I gripe here about how we're likely screwing the planet up and mention climate change, I read that the White House has cut a bunch of stuff about that very topic out of an EPA report that's supposed to be released next week. Everyone who's surprised, stand on your head.

For whatever reason, I'm beginning to draw a connection to this topic and smoking. In both cases, you have people who hold a very consistent "need more study, not enough data" line. And in both cases, many of those people seem to have the backing of a large, monied, powerful industry. Am I over-stating things? Probably. But it's sticking in my head.

I'm sure Christine Todd Whitman is enjoying this, as the report is the last big thing that'll come out of EPA before she steps down. I'm assuming W will appoint the CEO of OmniPave to take her place.

In a completely unrelated note, if you're really bored, feel free to check out Mark Across America under the "other stuff" heading. You'll see the thrilling details of which US states I've been to. Well, the details aren't that thrilling. And, to be honest, it's not all that detailed. But hopefully it's an amusing diversion for you.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...