06 September 2003

A quick correction - I mistakenly noted that Washington State lost to Idaho last week. They didn't. Thank Yahoo's college football section for the mistake. Not that it helped the Cougars today, as they dropped an OT decision to Notre Dame. Though it raises the question if they'd have rather lost to Idaho and then beaten ND in South Bend.

You'll excuse the confusion, especially after today's run of upsets. Most notable for me:

* Bowling Green beats Purdue. Nice news for the MAC, even if they didn't get Marshall beating Tennessee at home.

* Wake Forest beats NC State. Break up the Demon Deacons! Moment of synergy: their next opponent it Purdue.

* Villanova beats Temple. OK, Temple, let's just drop down to 1-AA and join your A-10 colleagues before someone gets hurt.

Locally, Northeastern bushwhacked Albany 51-0. In two games, the Huskies have scored 129 points, though 78 of those came against Stonehill College, a local D2 school. Stonehill at least managed to score 6 points, though I think it was against Brookline High School's defense.

In non-football news, spent a fair bit of the day doing wedding prep stuff. Got to visit the florist, which was very exciting (does sarcasm survive the typing phase?).

I also went to confession (now called reconciliation) for the first time since I was confirmed - 18 to 20 years ago. It should tell you something that I don't even quite remember how old I was when I was confirmed (I believe it was during 10th grade, so more likely 18 or 19 than 20 years). Regardless, it's been a while.

The problem that raises is that you don't have a very easy starting point for the process. I did start with more recent events, but at some point I realized that I was trying to recap roughly two decades and went into vapor lock. The priest was very helpful, and I think went easy on me as far as penance was concerned.

Outside of the new name, the other major change with confession is that it is increasingly done face to face. Now, when I was a kid, that was the last thing you wanted. You didn't want to have to look at the priest and either (a) be recognized, or (b) feel like you were being judged. Today I went the anonymous route, and I have to say that I think it was harder than if I got to look at their priest. Not sure why that is. Could be greater maturity (well, not much greater), could be an increased knowledge of the breadth of human failings making me less worried about my own. Could be I just want to see the other guy's face and look for signs of reassurance.

I'm not sure I could go every week - not without having a chance to build some sort of relationship with the priest, at any rate.

The only other thing of note at this point is that today was my first "day off" in 19 days. I celebrated by being on call (which is why day off is in quotes) and getting up at 5:30 this morning. I'm still trying to figure out which day I'll take off from work in the coming week.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...