29 September 2003

What with my own impending nuptuals and today being the second anniversary for Scott Monty, we were talking the married life over email recently, and Scott made a very astute observation.

The stages of getting married are a lot like the stages of grief.

Denial We're really getting married? You said yes? Really?

Or, alternately, one that we've been using quite a bit, the denial that getting married will change things too much given that we're already formed as a couple. As much as I've trusted it when I've said it, I know I'll be proven wrong. Often.

Anger or Resentment What do you mean we can't have a band? How could you have picked such ugly china? I don't want your Uncle Earl within a hundred miles of the church!

Bargaining OK, I'll make the groomsmen wear the matching tie and vest that goes with your bridesmaids' dresses, but only if...

Depression I'm so sick of this planning crap. I'm going to take another nap. Turn of the phone.

Acceptance We forgot to coordinate the color of the centerpiece flowers with the frosting of the cake? Oh well.

We didn't have as much anger/resentment, but did have a fair bit of bargaining and a cartful of what passes for depression in this context. Though we're quickly moving into the acceptance stage, and happily so.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...