09 September 2003

So I was happy to see that the RIAA is targeting the real criminals in this file-trading thing. In the batch of lawsuits recently filed against "major traders" was a 12 year old Manhattan girl who downloaded such royalty-thieving songs as "If You're Happy and You Know It." I suppose she's not clapping her hands anymore.

One little-noticed move in this whole fight was the reduction in CD prices by Universal Music Group. Consider that for years we've been paying up to $20 for a CD, more than we paid for vinyl or cassettes, which kind of goes against the idea that CDs are supposed to be cheaper and easier to make than those other media. Interestingly, other labels haven't done the same, perhaps banking on the idea that the RIAA's bully tactics will drive people back to CDs.

Personally, I think they'll drive people to smarter file-sharing habits. Or to SBC Communications, who seems to be the only ISP willing to fight the RIAA on this.

In football news, my fantasy team is 0-1 and looking like crap. I kind of knew this was coming given my lack of focus at the draft, but I was also not helped by Philly getting shut out at home. I now have to hope the Eagles have the sort of day against the Pats that the Bills did. Ah, the sweet taste of fantasy-reality conflict.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...