21 September 2003

Unlike Jon, I will not post my golfing score from Friday's outing here. Considering I now average one round a year (and that only after a 12 year hiatus broken in 2001), such an informational display would seem futile. Not to mention, NASA hasn't finished computing my round.

Still, for every three-putt and multi-whiff iron shot, I did manage a few of what could be called, with all sincerity, golf shots. I seem to best off the tee, though I do have a tendency to put my drive into the opposing hole's fairway in cases where they run parallel. I also seem attracted to wood (witness my hitting a house in Myrtle Beach last year), though this time around it was mostly trick shooting, including banking a shot off of a willow and into the fairway and running my second shot on one hole through a pair of arbor vitae (much like what I do when trying to pick up a 7-10 split).

I do think that, if I get to a point where I can afford to play more often and have acqaintances who would put up with my muni-hack style of play, I'd like to go out more often.

One notable (but macabre) moment from the day was realizing that I didn't have a putter in the set I've inherited from my dad. It took me a minute to realize we buried it with him.

While on the subject of my dad's clubs, it should be noted that, if you're a real stickler, it's not exactly a regulation set. There are something like five woods, a fairway driving iron, two seven irons (one a leftie in case it's the only way to play the shot), and some sort of putter-looking chipping club whose purpose I have yet to fathom (it turns out I was using it at times I shouldn't have, while Jon pointed out another time when I should have used it and did not).

The rest of the day was the typical debauchery for a bachelor party group (outside of strippers, which aren't my thing and would have gotten the other married men in collective dutch with the wives). The steamers did look mighty tasty, if deadly.

The rest of the weekend was spent in Maine. We delivered Sarah's aunt and uncle to her parents' house, and I spent the vast majority of the weekend in the house watching some form of competition (baseball, football, and the World Pastry Cup that was re-running on the Food Network). It was nice to see the Sox win one today (especially with the Mariners' loss) and for the Pats to win one that maybe they shouldn't have (call it the first annual Bill MacNeal Adequatulance Bowl). I am stymied by the wins put up by Cleveland and Arizona, two events that further suggest why it's best that I stay away from organized football betting.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...