29 October 2003

While I didn't know that the NRA had a blacklist (or as they term it, a fact sheet), I can't say that I'm surprised.

Some of the names on it are of little surprise (the ACLU, for example), but some of the other names were interesting.

From the world of sport, the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals, and the St. Louis Rams and Cardinals, are all on the list. In fact, there's fairly prominent KC/St. Louis representation for organizations who are supposed to be anti-gun. Must be the Missouri chapter of the NRA pulling its weight.

Based on the list of celebrities and media outlets, it appears that stalwart NRA supporters can't go to the movies or watch any of the three major networks. Fox is OK, which is no surprise. The WB, UPN, and PAX aren't listed, which makes me think that perhaps the only people watching those are NRA members.

The celebrity list is actually kind of entertaining, as for every Sean Connery, George Clooney, and Julia Roberts you get an Estelle Getty, a Michael E. Knight, and a Dweezil Zappa. This doesn't even mention the likes of Arlene Dahl, Nancy Lee Grahn, Grace-Lynne Ingle, Stephen Nichols, Peter Reckell, and others - that I've never heard of. Marla Maples is also listed as an actress, which I'm sure she's flattered by.

There are also a number of religious groups, including such radicals as the US Catholic Conference and those bomb-throwers at the United Methodist Church.

I suppose the stories about the list are just another part of the vast conspiracy against gun rights in America (I'm sure this website doesn't help). I'll go hole up with my AR-15 and Pauly Shore movies... he's still OK, isn't he?

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...