12 April 2004

I really don't have much to make note of from the weekend that others didn't capture. But that won't stop me from writing.

My plan to watch the NCAA men's div 1 ice hockey final in Maine worked perfectly, as the Pioneers of the University of Denver took their first title since 1969 by notching a 1-0 win over Maine. As Shawn noted, this won't be one to turn college hockey on to the masses, though the last couple of minutes were sheer terror the likes of which you'd never see this side of the NHL.

And, of course, I wound up winning my gentlepersons wager pool for the tournament. I'll be enjoying my windfall of bupkis.

The rest of the weekend in Maine was pretty low key. Spent most of Saturday in Bangor doing various errands, none of which require much note here, other than if you are in the Bangor Mall area, you too may enjoy dining at what might be the slowest Pizzeria Uno in all of the Americas (actually, it was just our booth that dragged, so if you can get a table or eat at the bar you'll be fine).

Got to listen to the Sox lose the opener on the way up and win in extra innings on the way home. At no time did we have to station hunt, though, so it wasn't the true New England driving experience.

I was surprised at the amount of ice on the lakes and ponds of mid-coast Maine, really that there was any. As cold as it was down here this winter, I assume it was that much worse up there, with the melt taking that much longer as a result.

On the tackiness side, one of the houses that was festooned with the large inflatable Santa and snowman at Christmas had large inflatable bunny and chick for Easter. The most tacky house in the region didn't do anything for this holiday - they just didn't take down the flying Santa and reindeer from four months ago.

Sadly, I didn't have my camera out at the time.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...