09 January 2004

Actually, Shawn beat me to the punch with commenting on The Apprentice. Clearly, Shawn has a marketing mind yearning to be tapped.

I thought the show was OK, though I fear an increase in group drama in the coming weeks (certainly the scenes from next week's installment suggest one). I know it's a required part of the genre, but there's usually too much of it. My hope is that most of the drama will remain in the context of the challenges, and not in pointless bickering at home. The last thing we need is a Real World featuring people old enough to know better.

If nothing else, the show confirmed that I would never fit into a business climate, at least not if the people they've selected to participate are any indication. Some of them are fine, but I think I'd find the temptation to slap the more annoying types too strong to resist. Most notable in this group is Sam, who is a walking definition of shameless huckster. Don't be surprised if he wins the whole thing.

Perhaps the most enjoyable part of the show was getting to see Trump's apartment, which is done up in some sort of Roman Excessive Revival. I actually think he uses the same marble and gilded trim combination as Belden Jewelers does in their mall outlets. Garish doesn't even begin to describe it.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...