28 January 2004

I don't have too much to add to all the punditry over yesterday's New Hampshire primary, though in good Craig Barker form here's my thoughts on candidate momentum in five words:

John Kerry - In front, not nominee yet.
Howard Dean - Needs a win very badly.
John Edwards - Sneaky momentum going to Carolina.
Wes Clark - Back if lands Arizona, Oklahoma
Joe Leiberman - Denial isn't just a river...
Dennis Kucinich - Any momentum would be nice.
Al Sharpton - South Carolina, Super Tuesday spoiler?

I was thinking earlier today that Howard Dean, who took some heat for his description of the "NASCAR voter," still could be a threat by implementing a NASCAR-type strategy of consistency. I don't know if he could win the nomination by continuing to finish second, but thrown in with a win here or there things could get interesting. It's just looking less likely he'll get a win. You think he could have talked the folks in Vermont into holding their primary before Super Tuesday; as it's in there with the likes of California, New York, and Ohio, Vermont's going to get lost in the shuffle.

In a related note, I find it kind of funny that Puerto Rico is not only having a GOP primary, but they're having it on February 29th. This means something, though I'm not sure what.

In an unrelated note, I have very little to say about the Oscar nods, as I've only seen the Lord of the Rings movie. I used to do much better at seeing at least all the best picture nominees, though the last year I actually managed this was 1997. I saw all but The Cider House Rules in 1999 (which is odd, as I really liked the book, but I may have been scared off by other poor John Irving adaptations - I'm looking at you, Simon Birch). I saw three of the 2001 nominees (Gladiator, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Traffic), just A Beautiful Mind and LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring for 2002, and just Chicago and LOTR: The Two Towers last year.

I am still owed seeing Master and Commander from going to Love, Actually, and I think local ordinance will require me to see Mystic River. Sarah's dad has Seabiscuit on DVD, which isn't the same as the theater but may have to suffice. They actually showed Lost in Translation on campus last weekend when we were away, though I think it's still playing around here somewhere.

On the flipside, I will whole-heartedly agree with Greg's analysis of the Razzies. I was a voting member for a couple of years, and can confirm that the awards seem much more focused on going after the expected targets and less after true cinematic badness. Not that they don't find badness in their usual targets, it just gets old quick.

To that end, I had considered starting something called the Love is Nice Awards (after an episode of The Simpsons where the new genius Homer goes to see a movie called Love is Nice and notices the plot holes and pointlessness of it all) to recognize Hollywood's most mundane/least essential movies, but I figured I didn't have the time. It may make an appearance anyway, just as something I do unilaterally rather than call for votes and such.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...