12 January 2004

I missed Paul O'Neill's 60 Minutes appearance tonight (admittedly, I got caught up in the Eagles-Packers game), but there was something about the White House's first response to this whole thing that's been bothering me.

The quote, from White House spokesman Scott McClellan:

"It appears that the world according to Mr. O'Neill is more about trying to justify his own opinions than looking at the reality of the results we are achieving on behalf of the American people." (emphasis mine)

It's probably been noted by others, but to me this pretty much says the official White House position is that the ends justified the means. Which makes me think it less likely that O'Neill is talking out of his hat.

I know you can't exactly say during a campaign "If elected, I plan on invading Iraq no later than March 2003," but it does strike me that he could have at least mentioned his interest in using the military to force regime changes. I think there are a few people who would have thought about their vote a litte more, if not differently (both for and against him).

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...