26 January 2004

Notes from the weekend:

Went to Penn Bowl Me and the missus went to Penn Bowl, a large (perhaps too large) college bowl tournament held at UPenn. Sarah went because she had to chaperone the BU team (all three people!), I went in the name of marital solidarity. For those of you who've been before, it was Penn Bowl. You know what that means. For everyone else, you're not missing much.

Golden Globes We didn't watch them. I don't particularly care for them, as even for awards they're silly. You may also want to read this TV Barn piece which further lowered my interest in them (sadly I don't get Trio any more - I used to when I had the dish - so I've not seen the special mentioned in the article). If you want a recap, go click on Shawn or John.

Holy rabble rousing, Batman! Church was unusually political, as the priest took the occasion to speak out against this whole gay marriage thing. I was less than impressed with the moralistic end of the argument, as the priest went slippery slope on us and said the current ruling would eventually allow for group marriages, etc. He also actually read the dictionary definition of marriage - right from the dictionary! It was like bad high school debate at times.

I have a little more sympathy for the other argument made, that the court was unduly acting in a legislative capacity, and that the timeline to allow gay marriage is too short. I tend to think that more time would be better (perhaps a year rather than six months), though I know in the Church's case they want more time to fight the ruling.

All in all it was hard to tell how it went over with the congregation as a whole. No one walked out (as had happened the first time the subject came up last year), but I did see a couple people stiff the first collection, whose money goes to support the parish. I'm sure we'll hear more about this as we go, which will be even less comfortable for me. Sometimes it's hard being a heretic.

That's the highlights for the weekend, sad to say. I didn't even get to see BU's 1-0 hockey triumph over Maine, which combined a big win and brawling. Damn!

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...