16 January 2004

I was going to post about yesterday's episode of The Apprentice, but I wound up writing most of what I was going to say in a comment over on the Bruce's blog. Go read that - after you finish here.

What I am going to write about is another reason why I picked the right woman to marry (not that there was any doubt). I was going down to Providence today to look over a college bowl tournament site, and went to the ATM to get money for the train ticket, when I discovered I didn't have my wallet. It was where I'd left it - in my desk drawer at work, where it is 99 percent of the time I leave it somewhere other than its designated coat pocket.

I had nothing - my ATM card, credit cards, even a calling card, were all in the wallet. I had my Babson ID, which was pretty much useless. The $1.25 I had to take the T over to South Station was all the money I had on me.

Thankfully, I was able to make a collect call to Sarah's office, and even more thankfully a co-worker of her's that I know answered.

(For those of you wondering where my new cell phone was, it was sleeping peacefully in a bag at home. I'd realized I'd forgotten it when we were already driving into Boston, and figured I wouldn't need it. I also turned down Sarah's offer to take hers, saying I didn't know who I'd be calling. Double oops.)

So what does Sarah do to help me in my hour of need? She gets on the T, takes out some money for me, gives me her ATM card just in case, and then gets back on the T to go to work. Does she rock or what?

And as it turned out, I wasn't the most screwed person on the train. Providence is the last stop on the line I took down, and as I was getting my things, a guy sitting diagonally across the aisle from me looked around plaintively and asked those of us still in earshot, "Doesn't this train make a stop at Worcester?"

For those of you who don't know the geography: Providence is an hour due south of Boston. Worcester is an hour due west. Suffice it to say the guy was screwed if he needed to be in Worcester any time before, say, 5 pm (it was 1 pm or so when we pulled in).

In any case, the meeting went well, and I got a chance to wander around the Providence Place Mall, which is amazing. I think it's cool, and I don't even like malls. The train station is also directly across the street from the Rhode Island state house, so I got a much better look at it than I normally do from 95. I think I unfairly diss it in Mark Across America, though I still like the greater simplicity of Maine's capitol building better.

Sarah and I then ate dinner out, and came back in time to tune into the BU-BC hockey game and see that we were losing 3-1 and yanking Sean Fields for the second game in a row. We did tune in later, just in time to see us go down 5-1. At this point, I'll just be happy to make the Hockey East playoffs, home ice be damned.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...