28 May 2004

Now that it's aired, time to talk about my Millionaire appearance.

First, if you didn't see it, a recap. I moved through the first 10 questions pretty briskly, getting to $32,000 with all my lifelines. This took an abrupt turn with the very next question, as I was asked to give the current year in the Chinese calendar. Not the animal year but the numerical year.

I asked the audience, not expecting much, and am rewarded by vote totals for the four choices ranging from 23 to 28 percent. I then phoned a friend (who is among those at left) who wasn't able to help. As he said later, all he got were animal references and Web pages in Chinese when he tried to Google an answer. So I used the 50-50 and guessed the answer that the audience actually picked. Wouldn't you know it was right?

The $125K question gave the title of the first chapter of a non-fiction best seller, which I had to name. I had no idea, would have picked Silent Spring if forced to choose one, and would have been wrong (answer was The Feminine Mystique). I opted to walk rather than heave one up from half-court. Even for making $64,000 in about 20 minutes, I was surprisingly irritated given how well things were going. I should just have been happy at my good fortune.

Later, I thought that I may have been able to save a lifeline if I'd gone with the 50-50 after asking the audience. I'm pretty sure the $125K question can be Googled pretty easily (which I've just confirmed). Not sure I'd have done this even if I'd thought of it - I'm too risk averse to gamble in such situations.

It also turned out that the woman who went before me knew the answer to my $125K, ironic given that I knew the answer to hers (the topic of the legislation in the Schoolhouse Rock segment "I'm Just a Bill").

Getting to today, I wound up watching it down the hall from my office, with a group of co-workers and students. I was a little apprehensive about it, but it turned out OK. I didn't look too bad, though the height of the screen I got to read was low enough to display more chin than I'd like.

Oh, some of you caught the look that Sarah gave when I started talking about using some of the money to travel. She'll be happy to tell you it was a purposeful look of doubt that we'd be going to Italy or Australia any time soon. Perhaps if I'd won more money and weren't leaving Babson.

I got to watch it again later in the afternoon with some other Babson folks who couldn't see it at its local airtime (12:30 pm). Sorry to report I didn't win any more money. I also got to IM with JQ as he watched it down in Atlanta, which was kind of a surreal experience.

Should any of you be heading to the New York area this summer, I would highly recommend trying out. You can sign up on the show's website starting in June.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...