07 May 2004

While I've not read about his testimony in-depth, it seems that Donald Rumsfeld is both taking responsibility for this whole Iraqi prisoner torture thing and refusing to resign. This even though there are more photos and apparently video of mistreatment.

I don't begin to presume that I know what it takes to be Secretary of Defense, and I know that the heads of much smaller entities are often unaware of gross negligence on the part of those working beneath them. But it does strike me that keeping Rumsfeld around will hurt Bush in the long-term, especially if we start to see more images of abuse (and if the ICRC is correct in their claims that mistreatment has been ongoing and pervasive for over a year).

If Bush is smart (OK, if Karl Rove is being smart for him), they'll work on positioning someone to take over should things continue going poorly. And if there's any real sense, they'd not hand things over to Paul Wolfowitz, who makes Rummy look like Eugene McCarthy.

Bring back Bill Cohen, I say.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...