08 August 2003

As some of you may know, today is my birthday. I wasn't sure how to best address this here, so I went back to the archives to see what I did last year. Turns out my 2002 birthday post mostly described the Fox offering 30 Seconds to Fame, but also included a little bit about people born on my birthday and events that happened on my birthday.

But today I turn 34, moving from my lower 30s squarely into the mid-30s. My right foot hurts and I have an irritated throat (thought I was getting a cold, now I wonder if it's related to the fumes we've had at work the last couple of days as they've resurfaced the stage in the theater that's connected to our campus center). And it's another in a string of dark, humid, rainy days.

I was going to be overly-dramatic and list all the famous people I could find who died on August 8, but it's not much of a list, depending on how much of a fan you are (or were) of Louise Brooks and Richard Deacon. Checking out the IMDB, it also appears that Alan Napier, who played Alfred on the TV version of Batman, died on August 8. I always liked Alfred, he helped even out the camp. Kind of like how lemon juice helps to even out sauces.

Oh, add Shirley Jackson to the roll call, too.

On a brighter note, August 8 was the wedding day for Julie Tenuta and Emo Phillips. They've since divorced, but can you imagine that wedding? Other notables married on August 8 include Ty Cobb (his first), Roman Pulanski (his third), and W. C. Fields for his first and only, which is heartening. You'd think all the drinking and cards would have irritiated his wife to no end.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...